ADMIN ASSISTANT – ROLE DESCRIPTION
Church Admin Assistant – 10 hours a week initially.
Salary: £15 per hour on a self-employed status
Reporting to: Church Management Committee and Minister
Based at: Plymouth Unitarian Church, Notte Street, Plymouth
Context and Our Vision
We are a small but growing spiritual community with a warm heart. We welcome people of all abilities, backgrounds, cultures, faiths, genders and sexualities. In other words, people like you.
Our full vision document can be found on our website at: About us
Purpose of the Role
The Church Admin Assistant will be responsible for providing administration support to Plymouth Unitarian Church.
The post will be working alongside the Church Management Committee and the Minister and also liaising with volunteers and contractors as required. Assistant will be responsible to the Committee and on a day-to-day basis to the Minister.
▪ Responsible for handling telephone and email enquiries, and passing on information as required.
▪ Ensure office and cleaning supplies are sufficient and equipment is functioning.
▪ Manage the church website.
▪ Update the Bookings Calendar.
▪ Assist in general filing and keeping all records (both digital and paper) up-to-date.
▪ Liaise with Church Treasurer and assist as required.
▪ Update the church website each week (or more frequently if necessary) with relevant changes.
▪ Prepare and print flyers, service sheets and posters for special events, and other church events. Ensure that noticeboards are kept up-to-date and are relevant to the life of the church.
▪ Be the first point of contact for hirers, potential hirers and users in person, by phone and by email, offering advice and information as the representative of the church.
▪ Manage the bookings of the church, church and hiring of car parking spaces. Ensure correct fees are charged, invoiced and collect fees. Issue and oversee the return of keys and ensure necessary furniture and equipment is available.
▪ Be observant and proactive, working alongside the Church committee, minister and volunteers to maintain and improve the administration and communications in the Church.
Other aspects of the Church Admin Assistant role:
Health & Safety
To adhere to the Church Health & Safety policy and procedure as well as any other related laws and do all that is reasonable to promote care and safety in the fulfilment of the role and in daily working life.
To adhere to the Church Safeguarding policy and procedure as well as any other related laws and to do all that is reasonable to promote care and safety in the fulfilment of the role and in daily working life for all who may be vulnerable. This includes a responsibility to remain up to date with your own safeguarding training at the level appropriate to the role.
Please note that this role requires an enhanced DBS check.
We understand the benefits of employing individuals from a range of backgrounds, with diverse cultures and talents. We aim to create an environment that…
▪ Values difference in others and respects the dignity and worth of each individual
▪ Reflects the diversity of the nation.
▪ Fosters a climate of creativity, tolerance and diversity that will help all Committee members, employees and volunteers to develop to their full potential.
We are committed to being an equal opportunities employer and ensuring that all employees, job applicants, stakeholders and other persons with whom we deal are treated fairly and are not subjected to discrimination.
We want to ensure that we not only observe the relevant legislation but also do whatever is necessary to provide genuine equality of opportunity. We expect all of our employees to be treated and to treat others with respect. Our aim is to provide a working environment free from harassment, intimidation or discrimination in any form which may affect the dignity of the individual.
Standards of Behaviour and Conduct
Staff are expected to act at all times with due consideration for others and in a manner befitting their position as employees of Plymouth Unitarian Church and as professionals, whatever their job.
ADMIN ASSISTANT – PERSON SPECIFICATION
We are looking for someone with the following:
▪ A self–starter who shows high levels of motivation and initiative to work well on their own without supervision.
▪ Good interpersonal skills in a customer service environment: in person, by email and on the phone with a welcoming attitude, being open to people whilst coping with a task list.
▪ Clear evidence of being a team-worker – seeking to serve the whole group.
▪ Understanding of the sensitivity of much of the information received and maintaining appropriate confidentiality.
▪ An eye for the bigger picture as well as the daily task-list.
▪ A clear and calm thinker, able to manage tight deadlines, and cope with change.
▪ Honest, diligent and trustworthy.
▪ Ability to deal with many types of people at all levels in a direct, tactful & diplomatic way.
▪ Willing to work flexible hours.
▪ Excellent organisational skills enable you to be able to prioritise well and multi-task with an eye for detail.
▪ Good numeracy skills for invoicing, receiving monies and banking.
▪ An excellent communicator; both written and verbal.
▪ Good administrative and office skills experience.
▪ Proficient in the use of Office software: Word, Excel, Outlook and Publisher.
▪ Experience of working in/providing excellent Customer Service.
An enhanced DBS disclosure will be required. The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act does not apply in this instance.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send your CV with a covering letter explaining how you meet the criteria for the post by Monday 20th February 2023 via email to: Sheila Evans, Church Secretary, firstname.lastname@example.org
Successful applicants will be invited to interview on Thursday 23rd February 2023, to start Monday 6th March 2023